Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, a nonprofit advocacy organization in Little Rock, is searching for a Director of Governmental Affairs. Position will work to promote social and economic justice by directing the development and execution of AACF’s legislative strategy and managing relationships with elected officials, policymakers, and influencers. Requires bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in advocacy, outreach, or lobbying. Complete job description follows:
Director of Governmental Affairs
Position Overview: The Director of Governmental Affairs advances the mission and policy agenda of Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families by directing the development and execution of AACF’s legislative strategy and managing key relationships with elected officials, policymakers, and influencers. The Director of Governmental Affairs plays a central role in facilitating AACF’s team approach to lobbying. Position reports to the Executive Director.
Qualifications: A Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree, at least five years of experience in advocacy, outreach, or lobbying, and a demonstrated track record of success.
Special Skills Required:
- Excellent presentation, communications, and interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on explaining complex issues to external audiences and persuasive communications
- Demonstrated understanding of the political and legislative processes and the development and passage of legislation and public policy
- Ability to think strategically and develop campaigns that lead to adoption of AACF policy agenda
- Functional knowledge of AACF issues, including health, education, budget/economic issues, etc.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of partners, including elected officials, state agency officials, AACF staff, nonprofit community partners, constituency groups, the faith community, and the business community
- Ability to utilize the policy expertise of other AACF staff on lobbying and other related tasks
- Ability to build and work with coalitions on a range of issues
- Ability to understand and present data/research effectively to advance an agenda
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to manage competing priorities, and multi-task
- Ability to travel in-state on a regular basis
- Committed to the mission and agenda of AACF
- Serve as AACF’s primary lobbyist, representing and advocating for the organization’s positions on legislation with members of the General Assembly, Governor’s Office, state agency officials, stakeholders, and the Arkansas Congressional Delegation
- Manage the development and execution of AACF’s legislative strategy
- Provide strategic guidance to AACF’s executive director, staff, and board in the development of AACF’s policy/legislative agenda and policy campaigns
- Work with AACF staff in tracking, monitoring, and reporting on state legislation
- Work with staff to develop and cultivate relationships with strategic partners, including elected and appointed policymakers, legislative influencers, other lobbyists, and advocacy partners
- Assist AACF outreach staff in the development of public events related to our legislative affairs work, such as our pre- and post-legislative conferences and Kids Day at the Capitol
- Attend legislative committee and coalition/stakeholder meetings to represent AACF’s interests
- Work with the executive director and staff on developing and coordinating testimony for legislative hearings, and testifying when appropriate
- Assist AACF staff in creating and disseminating communications tools related to AACF’s legislative agenda, including: a weekly electronic newsletter to the AACF network and stakeholders, legislative fact sheets, and legislative impact statements
- Work with AACF’s outreach director on general outreach/networking building strategies
- Work with AACF’s deputy director in managing the organization’s compliance with state and federal lobbying laws and regulations
Salary based on experience. Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1400 West Markham St., Ste. 306, Little Rock, AR 72201.
AACF is an equal opportunity employer.