So you want to do ARKids First Outreach?
Here are some questions you might encounter along the way.
Why do we need ARKids First?
- Health insurance impacts the economic stability of families as well as their health.
- ARKids First provides affordable and quality health care, especially important as more and more families face economic uncertainty recently.
- Children with health insurance are more likely to receive the health care they need to become healthy, educated and productive citizens.
- Good health is linked with school performance and children with health insurance are more likely to access health services.
- Studies in Missouri and California found that when uninsured children received health insurance, school absences decreased and they were more likely to pay attention in class and keep up with school activities.
Why do we need to do outreach for ARKids First?
- Over-half of the state’s uninsured children are already eligible for ARKids First, but problems with enrollment and renewal keep them off the program and uninsured.
- Outreach efforts are most successful when done by people and organizations who are in the community and know the parents and children.
What services does ARKids First cover and for what age groups?
ARKids First covers children from birth to 19 years of age.
ARKids First is divided into two programs based on income and family size.
Go here to find out more about the income guidelines and services covered.
How can families apply for ARKids First?
- Paper applications can be picked up around the community at local health units, hospitals, churches, daycare centers, pharmacies and public schools.
- You can apply online at Access Arkansas.
- Parents can also call the toll-free hotline at 1-888-474-8275, and all the application information will be mailed to them.
What information do parents need to submit with the application?
The only paperwork you will need to submit with your application is proof of your children’s ages and, if they are not U.S. citizens, proof of alien status.
Who else cares about ARKids First in my community?
- School Nurses, Teachers, Principals, and Counselors
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Afterschool Programs
- Community Centers
- Churches and Faith Based Organizations
What are some specific things I can do to help get children enrolled in ARKids First?
Display ARKids First applications, brochures, and posters in your organization so parents can see them.
Host education and enrollment events in your community.
Set up a table at local health fairs with ARKids First information.
Post information in libraries, daycares, community centers, and other high traffic areas.
Is there somewhere I can go on the Internet to see what other places have done to get and keep kids enrolled?
Insure Kids Now has developed a toolkit that provides helpful hints, messages, and tips to help folks just like you to do outreach in their communities.